The video below features Ark Academy teacher, Sophie Vellacott, demonstrating how to deliver a knowledge-rich lesson.
Want to see more like this? Sign up to Teach - our monthly best practice newsletter featuring tips and practical advice from Ark, our partners and our friends. Teach - teaching tips direct to your inbox.
The checklist for delivering a knowledge-rich lesson is also below:
- Determine the specific knowledge you need to teach
- Plan a clear sequence of instruction and practice that consolidates and builds students' knowledge throughout the lesson
- Break content knowledge into bite-size pieces and plan mini-activities for students to practice that content
- Prepare materials in advance (chart paper, knowledge organiser, etc)
- Interleave previously learned content into questions about new content
- After teaching content, ask "thinking questions" that depend on the knowledge you just taught
- Get students to work together and challenge one another in order to practice new content.
Download the checklist here: Delivering a knowledge-rich lesson.pdf
If you'd like to get regular updates from Ark, our friends and our partners, including teaching tips and best practice, please sign up for our newsletter: arkonline.org/newsletter